Tuesday, November 15, 2011
36 Sleeps... Not That I'm Counting
5:46 PM
Our time in Korea is rapidly drawing to a close. Tomorrow is 5 weeks until we take the big flight back to Australia. I have mixed feelings about this. Of course I'm excited to be going back to Australia and catching up with family and friends, not to mention seeing the beautiful blue sky WA constantly presents. But on the other hand, I feel as if our time here in Ulsan has not been long enough. We have had a wonderful time here, I've honestly LOVED the experience. So here is a little blurb about what I have loved or will miss in Ulsan, and also what I'm looking forward to doing back in Perth.
Feelings about Korea:
* The people are SO nice. They always have a smile on their face and are quick to greet you with friendliness. They will go out of their way for you, especially for the children (even to the extend of putting money in their pockets! Ivy's upto about 50,000 Korean Won (about $45) Haha). I have met some lovely Koreans, especially my dear friend Gina who babysits my children. The children will miss her, as I'm sure she will them. I also love the respect that people show to eachother- especially elderly people. I just love the elderly people here - they are such hard workers! You can see old, old ladies sitting on the street get up to walk, and they're bent over double from working in gardens etc all their lives. This morning as I was walking around the Reservoir close to our apartment I was greeted by an old man "Annyeong Haseyo". As I returned the greeting his face broke into a huge smile, and he grabbed my wrist and proceeded to sing me a beautiful song! (In Korean of course, so unfortunately I didn't understand it, but it was still so lovely).
* Parks everywhere - you can hardly walk 250m without a beautiful playground. The kids love it, of course!
* Food - I love Korean food! Full stop. (Sheryl, you up for some more Korean restaurant experiences in Perth? LOL)
* I love that from our apartment (Sungwon SanteVill in Seobudong) you can practically find anything that you need within walking distance. Groceries, playgrounds, shopping centres, restaurants, and much, much more!
* Safety - Ulsan is such a safe place. I have never ever felt threatened while out and about. (This really hit me after living in Malaysia where I never felt comfortable getting out and about.) I think this is also because it is a predominantly Christian country.
I could go on and on, but I think these are the main things that have impacted me. Of course there were a couple things that weren't to my preference (driving for one!) but its definitely not enough for a list.
Feelings about going back to Perth:
* Seeing family and friends
* Going to church again (I'm sure that like last time living overseas the first time back to church will bring a myriad of emotions)
* Blue, blue sky!
* Love the fact that the kids will be able to run around outside - it gets a bit restrictive living in an apartment
* That glorious sunshine
* Lots of swimming in the ocean
* Lots of walks on the beach
* Kids being able to communicate with anyone
* Living in our nice big house! Greg and Liana have outdone us again and again with the amount of time they've spent living there!
* Hearing nothing but the ocean when lying in bed at night (Here there is motorbikes, loud talking, piano playing (to mention a few) going until very very late at night!
*Clothes! LOL this seems a little superficial but I am looking forward to going on a shopping spree :)
I'm sure there's more to that list but Isaac is begging me to make him some porridge, so off I go.
Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 Comments!:
hey steph ... enjoy the rest of your time in ulsan - it'll be over all too quickly ... i must say the sun and sand is something we miss here too - today is was dark by 4:30 ... all the best on your travels back to the home land ...
Post a Comment
Leave a comment! I love them. xx Steph